Are you suffering from pain or tenderness in your jaw or have difficulty opening or closing your mouth? Does pain radiate to your neck?
These may be symptoms of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder, which involves the two joints that connect your jawbone to the skull.
Dr. Jason Streeter at Streeter Dental in Colorado Springs, CO, can address your symptoms and bring relief from pain with TMJ treatment.
What Is TMJ? Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome
TMJ is one of a group of temporomandibular disorders (TMD) of the jaw. It specifically involves the joints on either side of your head that connect the jawbone to your skull. Many of our TMJ patients experience symptoms like these:
- Pain or tenderness in the jaw
- Pain in one or both of the temporomandibular joints
- Pain in and around your ear
- Difficulty chewing
- Difficulty opening or closing your mouth
- Popping or grinding sounds when you move your jaw
- Headaches, migraines. or dizziness
- Swelling on the side of the face
A Closer Look at Temporomandibular Disorders
The cause of TMD and TMJ disorders is often difficult to diagnose and can be confused with other conditions.
When you come in for a consultation at our Colorado Springs practice, Dr. Streeter will perform a comprehensive examination, starting by discussing your symptoms and examining your mouth and jaw.
If he suspects a TMJ disorder, Dr. Streeter may test your bite and examine your mouth using digital x-ray and 3-D scanning technology to rule out other problems and more closely assess your symptoms.
TMJ Treatment How Dr. Streeter Can Help
Dr. Streeter at Streeter Dental in Colorado Springs starts with a conservative approach since in many cases, TMD disorders like TMJ are temporary and can be managed with at-home care. He may initially recommend:
- Over-the-counter pain relievers
- Hot or cold compresses on the jaw
- A diet of soft food
- Limiting jaw movements when possible, such as avoiding chewing gum
- Exercises to stretch and relax your jaw
- Stress management to help patients avoid tension-related habits such as grinding or clenching their teeth or chewing on pencils
If conservative measures don't bring you relief from your TMJ or TMD issues, Dr. Streeter may recommend a more advanced treatment plan. These may include
"Best Dentist I've Ever Been To"
Best dentist I've ever been to. Very informative with information other dentists have never given me. Everyone was super nice and professional.View On Google
Dr Streeter is exceptionally skilled, experienced, and uses cutting-edge technology. He takes the time to talk with each patient and strives to provide the highest quality results ... You can feel that the Dr. and his staff care about each patient. My wife and I love this dental office.View On Google